The man who brought acid house to Ibiza and contributed in turning it into the dance capital of the world – yes, we are speaking of the living legend Paul Oakenfold; has come up with an amazing 2CD album comprising of timeless trance classics. With 12 ‘cover’ versions rather than just remixes or mash-ups, he has brilliantly showcased an ample amount of good manipulations to show the current EDM generation a deeper insight into what trance really was like back in his era. It will be quite surprising to let you know that some current fans may not even have been born when these classics were originally released.
CD1 comprises of new cover versions for these wonderful trance classics purely reinventing them into 2014 sounds, but with original lead melodies. Each track has been crafted with some serious interpretation, notwithstanding the idea that the purists shall claim the original can’t be beaten with it. Absolutely no! You should know the different styles under trance and here Oakey has delivered some serious work from psytrance to breaks to current new school and it indeed is magical. Cafe Del Mar, Adagio for Strings, Theme for Great Cities are easily recognizable tracks, which defined the trance scene in the 1990s. Toca Me is an absolute dance floor go-off in any situation.
CD2 comprises of tracks from talented producers on remix duties with the classic backdrop. Simon Bostock has done a magnificent work for Madagascar keeping intact the amazing melody and upholding the emotion as the original. Open Your Eyes has been handled by Future Disciple with all the layers of 90s trance reinventing the track to bring back memories of yore. Activa’s rework for the iconic track Cafe Del Mar is without a doubt the masterpiece giving it the blend of freshness with a classic feel. Johnny Yono has given that extra edge to Hold That Sucker Down which can burst open into immense energy to take down any dance floor.
Personal favorites include Theme for Great Cities and Café Del Mar from CD1 and Yonathan Zvi’s remix of Dreams and Simon Bostock’s remix of Madagascar from CD2. I would rate a five star for this timeless piece of classics. Go ahead, grab & give it a listen. I’m sure you won’t regret.
- Paul Oakenfold – Theme For Great Cities (Radio Edit) (03:26)
- Paul Oakenfold – Cafe Del Mar (Radio Edit) (04:30)
- Paul Oakenfold – Dreams (Radio Edit) (03:21)
- Paul Oakenfold – Barber’s Adagio For Strings (Vocal Radio Edit) (04:20)
- Paul Oakenfold – Toca Me (Radio Edit) (03:30)
- Paul Oakenfold – Ready Steady Go! (Beatman & Ludmilla Radio Edit) (04:00)
- Paul Oakenfold – Not Over Yet (Radio Edit) (04:29)
- Paul Oakenfold – Awakening (Radio Edit) (03:33)
- Paul Oakenfold – Madagascar (Radio Edit) (03:29)
- Paul Oakenfold – Open Your Eyes (Radio Edit) (03:36)
- Paul Oakenfold – Hold That Sucker Down (Radio Edit) (03:40)
- Paul Oakenfold & Cassandra Fox – Touch Me (05:35)
- Paul Oakenfold – Trance Mission (Full Continuous DJ Mix) (63:23)
- Paul Oakenfold – Barber’s Adagio For Strings (Instrumental Radio Edit) (04:20)
- Paul Oakenfold – Ready Steady Go! (Plump DJs 303Bass Radio Edit) (03:05)
- Paul Oakenfold & Cassandra Fox – Touch Me (2Symmetry Radio Edit) (03:41)
- Paul Oakenfold – Not Over Yet (Original Mix) (06:40)
- Paul Oakenfold – Dreams (Yonathan Zvi Radio Edit) (02:32)
- Paul Oakenfold – Madagascar (Simon Bostock Radio Edit) (02:59)
- Paul Oakenfold – Hold That Sucker Down (Johnny Yono Radio Edit) (03:23)
- Paul Oakenfold – Open Your Eyes (Future Disciple Radio Edit) (03:28)
- Paul Oakenfold – Cafe Del Mar (Activa Radio Edit) (03:52)
- Paul Oakenfold – Awakening (Chris Voro Radio Edit) (03:47)
- Paul Oakenfold – Toca Me (Eshericks Radio Edit) (04:53)